Sunday, May 8, 2011

lies and mistakes

This morning I woke up to Sophie telling me that her sippy cup accidentally spilled. When asked if she did it, simply to figure out what happened, she vacillated between it was a mistake and that she didn´t do it. Of course not, Sophie. You didn´t move the cup from next to your bed, take the lid off then place it at the picnic you´d set up in your room.

Later at a little cafe I let Sophie have a hotdog. We have a rule mostly for aesthetic and culinary reasons: ketchup can only go on french fries, hamburgers and hotdogs. She placed her whole palm into the ketchup ever so purposefully and then immediately tried to lick it off like a starved dog. Out of utter disgust, I tried my best to grab her hand and keep it away from her lapping tongue with little success. Then she proceeded to tell me it was an accident. Yes, perhaps the most deliberate accident ever.

No comments: