Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sophie's Language Skills

Here is a run down of Sophie’s language development. I’ve seen her use two signs, all done and water. She signed all done the other day at daycare along with one of the care givers with a very subtle twist of the wrist when we were finishing up lunch. Yesterday when I took Sophie down to the river, she signed water, three fingers under the mouth.

Sometimes she seems to be saying “yes” and a lot of time she seems to be saying “no.” “No” is especially popular at mealtimes. However, if I still offer her the food, she usually eats it. She does not seem to know “mom” or “dad” but she can make “ma, ma, ma” and “da, da, da” noises. Recently she's started busting out long soliloquies of babble.

She seems to understand quite a bit more than she can sign or speak. I’ve asked her to put blocks in a bowl, which she did. She’s also pointed to her head when asked where it is. She can clap if you ask her too also. Each time she responds to something new, I have a brief freak out moment when I realize she is starting to understand things. Although I find the idea of speaking with Sophie appealing, I’m really surprised at how well we already communicate.

No comments: