Friday, March 6, 2009

Understands and responds to simple commands

Some uncanny moments in her development:

  • The time she kept kicking off her blanket in the library and I realized that she was playing a game with us.
  • When she started sitting up and then standing up in her crib at night--somewhat shocking when you're expecting someone to be laying where you left her.
  • And now, when we say certain things, she does things.  "Clap!" or "Pat-a-cake!" will elicit clapping.  "Give me five!" will have her searching for your palm so that she can slap it.  Just today, I got a wave when I suggested that she say "Bye Bye"!  And "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and "Pat-a-cake" is beginning to elicit vague hand motions that are more than just claps.
All this prima-facie evidence that we have a real-live human being on our hands is a bit surprising.  Not that I expected her to be a cat or a capuchin monkey, but her development seems so fast.

Heading up to her first birthday, her mother and I have been looking at old pictures and saying "Oh!  So tiny!  So precious!" a lot.




No comments: