Monday, July 27, 2009

Sophie speaks, signs, counts and sorts.

Sophie's starting to say more and more words each week. She now says nose, shoes and banana. She can now point to pictures in the book and sign the animal--duck, monkey, elephant. She seems to understand just about anything. I ask her a lot of yes/no questions and she often nods her head yes when she answers, even when sometimes she possibly hasn't thought through the whole question. But I like this positive feedback, so I ask her questions that sometimes should just be statements. Last night I asked her if she wanted to go to bed, because for the last three nights she'd said yes. Last night she said no. I didn't expect that and no wasn't really an option. I read her a couple of more books and then took her to bed, no questions asked, which seemed to work, luckily.

She's also taken to counting and sorting. Yesterday morning she took out three cereal boxes and repeatedly counted them or at least wagged her finger at them as if she were counting. Then she emptied out our teabox and kindly separated the teabags: those with clear wrappers went in the library, those with colored wrappers, in the kitchen. One the one hand, it's very exciting to see her count and sort, on the other hand, I fear there will be more to clean up.

No comments: