"No Dada, mah eat!" (When I threatened to take some of her food)
"Mah Mama sok on!" (Pleased with herself because she had managed to pull her mother's sock onto her own foot)
"Dada, no daipuh on!" (Enjoying the breeze preparatory to taking a bath)
"Mama, weah ah oo?" (In a pitch perfect sing-songy lilt--becoming more frantic, though still lilting, as Sophie realizes that her mother is not, in fact, in the car and that she's stuck with just me)
"Nah-ohhhh!" (Not technically a sentence, but imbued with a remarkable range of emotion and nuance: managing to convey that she absolutely does not want to take a bath, that she's amazed I would even ask, and that she now suspects that I might be a bit simple for even bringing up such an idea)
"Mah tees heah!" (Pointing out that just as Woof has a toothbrush and toothpaste, so too does she; and that indeed–gesturing to the bathroom–she's just finished with her nightly ablutions and what are the odds that Woof too would engage in such toothbrushery?)
"No Dada! No Dada! No dees, bok-mah!" (Ah, yes. This would be an indication that she definitely does not want whatever it is, and instead wants "bok-mah")
"Bok-mah! No dees, no dees: bok-mah!" (Okay, "bok-mah" is definitely something, but I'll be darned if I––
oops! and she's hit the floor, screaming and writhing in rage. (Maybe it's Hebrew?)
No comments:
Post a Comment