Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sophie drops a P-bomb in the car

It finally happened. Sophie hopped in the back seat of the car, grabbed the BurgerKing crown I use as a prop for my classes, put it on her head, and proudly announced that she´s a princess. Silence in the car......Granted, we have given in on the pink a little, but we´ve been really strict about the p-word and all that goes with it, especially the element of entitlement. It isn´t working for a bunch of African leaders, I don´t think it works well for small girls either.

She´s clearly picked this up from school, where I imagine there are some books about princesses or, more probably, some of the older girls, whom Sophie admires deeply, talk about about them.

We managed to hold off for nearly three years, I should consider that a victory right? Well at least she still doesn´t know what Mc Donalds is and doesn´t know that there is such a thing as Nickelodeon. However, our six-year-old neighbor, a huge fan of both, is likely to ruin those too.

No comments: