Sophie has an odd sense of what is scary and what is not. The other day we were watching a Babar video. Within the first five minutes or so, Babar's mom gets shot and dies. Not cool. This made Sophie all kinds of nervous and uncomfortable. A few minutes later, she asked me to turn off the video. It seems, in part, that what most scares her is breaking up her very hetronormative family. After the Babar's mom dies, she asked about the dad, to which I had no answer. This didn't relieve any of her anxiety.
Today as we were biking in the forest, we stopped at a little break area that had a porta-potty. Inside the porta-potty was a huge-ass, black snake. Really big, really black. I think it was a southern black racer. This didn't seem to phase Sophie too much. I finally had to walk over and take her away from the outhouse because she just watched as some guy tried to lead the snake out of the little building as I kept calling her name.
Likewise, nighttime or thunder doesn't seem to phase her. Whenever I get books that talk about the kids being scared of the thunder or dark, I just make something else up. I don't think she realizes she's supposed to be scared of these things, so no need to plant ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment