Sunday, September 16, 2012

School, soccer, ballet

The cool fall air has arrived. School's back in full swing. Sophie is in the 3/4/5 year-old room. In many ways, I think this is the payoff class. She gets to do a lot of number work and some reading and writing before heading off to kindergarten next year. She's learning how to write her numbers but then will go from writing a 9 into a P. At our local co-op grocery store, I've had her write the numbers down of the prices on the bulk food and she really enjoys that. Then I have to "translate" the numbers for the checkout clerk. On Fridays, Sophie is playing on a soccer team with her bestie. She's not too into it, but I'm not giving up yet. The first game this season she scored. Yesterday she had a bunch of the girls from the local university watching her game and signing a poster for her. This didn't interest her in the slightest. OMG, if I had had 10 girls watching me play and signing my poster, I would have been in heaven. Then the girls told Sophie she can come to their camp this summer. Later she told me she wanted to go to Girl Scout Camp. Yes, yes, Sophie, you can go to girl scout camp, too! But dang, Sophie. Thanks to Title IX, you have these opportunities that didn't even exist when I was young. Sophie's true passion is ballet. She will allow her hair to be pulled back in a ponytail for the duration of class if that means she can dance. The place she goes has a live piano and I have to say, it's enjoyable to listen to Tchaikovsky as they dance around. She's so pink.

No comments: