Friday, June 12, 2009

What does the cow say?

Beside body parts, we’ve also been working on learning the noises animals make. I don’t know why we've been working on these sounds, but I think it has to do with the fact that we got her a small desk for her and sometimes in the mornings if I get up with her, we’ll go in and sit at the desk and read a book about animals. She seems much more captivated by it than other book and it keeps her from crawling up on the desk. We’ve read the book at least 40 times already. It goes through your list of typical household and barn animals. The story goes something like this: My mommy is a cow, I am a calf. Now just replace cow and calf with a dozen other animals and you too have now read the entire book without even have seen it. After each animal, I ask about the sounds that animal makes. She’s starting to get the idea and she’ll either try to make a little sound (many which are just modified versions of maaaaa or if it’s too hard, like meow, her lips will just sort of mouth mmmm sounds. Either way, she seems to be interested in making animals sounds. She thrilled one of the women at daycare when I asked her, "What sound does a cow make?" and she said, “Maaaaaaa.”

No comments: