Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sophie's new BFW (Best Friends for the Week)

At school Sophie has started spending more time with another little girl who just turned two. I quite like the girl, she’s fun, sweet and smart--all lovely qualities for a friend. The first time I noticed her was a couple of months ago when I took Sophie to school. The girl called out Sophie’s name when Sophie walked in the classroom. Since the kids say so few words, the fact that they know, much less say another child’s name seems pretty meaningful. This morning when Sophie came into the room and saw her friend, she blurted out the girl’s name. Afterward, Sophie walked over to her, they smiled at one another, then Sophie proceeded to snatch the baby her friend was holding. After we found babies for everybody, including a plastic one that appears to have the umbilical cord still attached (weird!), peace was restored and a full day of play began.

No comments: