She enjoys babbling. "Myna myna myna myna" is a favorite, as is "bitte bitte bitt". But there are some actual words in there too. A surprising number, actually, when we started counting.
Here is her top ten:
--up!
[Started as "bup", now very well formed; means 'up', 'open', 'take me over to that thing and open it', and 'do the thing I want now'.]
--no
[She gets good vibrato--a plaintive wail at times. At others, a curt dismissal.]
--mo'
[more. Mo' milk, mo' problems, Sophie--usually for us when she pours it on herself.]
--Bye bye!
[She's got a singsong accompanied with a lovely little wave for this. She's still working on 'hi' (and 'yes' for that matter).]
--dis
[She'd like a bit of dis and a bit of dat. She can be quite insistent when her mommy and I are being obtuse: "Dis! Dis! DIS!"]
--Uh oh!
[For when she drops things and wants us to pick them up. Often this 'uh oh!' will be my clue that she's dropped a stuffed animal and that we'll now have to backtrack a block and a half to retrieve it. If I pick it up and don't give it to her (after say, three iterations of the dropping game), she'll tell me "Uh oh! Uh oh! Uh oh! Uh oh! Uh oh! Uh oh!" I should really give it back.]
--momo
[Actually 'mono'/'monkey']
--mama
[I get to hear this when I go in to pick her up in the morning. "Mama! Mama! Mama! No! Mama! No!" (combined with her trying to push me away as I'm still holding her). Does "No!--Mama!" count as a word-combination/sentence then?]
--Baa
[The sound a sheep makes, and also, now the name of her stuffed sheep. We'll pick it up and ask "What's this Sophie?" and she'll get crazy excited, grin like a little maniac, and shout "Baa! Baa! Baa!" as she rushes over to rip Baa from our hands.]
--Shoos
[shoes. These are vastly, mysteriously important to Sophie. She'll try them on, try to try them on, bring them over to us to try on, try to fit them on our feet, slip into our shoes and try to walk around, and generally babble about how cool shoos are.]
That was here top ten. Here are her also rans. I'll put me first, even though I'm pretty sure she talks more about belly buttons, teeth, bubbles, and Elmo.
Dada, beh-beh [belly button], nohse [nose], aise [eyes], teese [teeth], ehmoh [elbow (or possibly, sadly, Elmo)], buhboh [bubble ballon], meye meye meye [me mine--chanted rapidly and insistently], bah [ball], boo-boo-ree [blueberry], nana [banana], gog [dog], uck [both duck and truck], oo [spoon; also 'oon' and 'poon'], ooooo! [sound a cow makes]
Here are some signs (non-verbal):
feed me, water, all done, milk, elephant, monkey.
No comments:
Post a Comment