Sunday, September 6, 2009

A day without a nap makes everybody grumpy

I hope this is an anomaly. Sophie decided to forgo her nap today. It wasn’t pretty. She cried for about 20 minutes when we put her down to nap, then I went in and tried to convince her to take a nap on the futon with me for about 30 minutes. After giving up thinking she might just go to sleep on her own without me distracting her, I put her back into her crib, where she lasted about 20 more minutes v. unhappy. Mike tried to go calm her and convince her a nap would be nice to no avail. I did what I’ve never had to do before, I played the drive card. I’ve definitely let her fall asleep while we are driving, but I’ve never taken her out of the crib and into the car for the sole intention getting her to sleep. I thought surely a car ride would put her to sleep given that she now must be exhausted—her parents were--she'd been up since 6:30 and spent the entire morning running and playing hard. Sophie and I made it out to Chelsea, 20 miles away, wide awake on the way out and very fussy on the way back. At that point I gave up on the idea of getting her to sleep, which was probably best for all of us. I was manic and exhausted; she was frustrated and sick of me shoving the pacifier in her face. We went to the library where her overpowering friendliness was too much for shy Korean children. She was perfectly happy. She was the most cheerful kid there, I was the most exhausted parent. Then we headed home to play a bit before dinner. You would never know she didn’t take her regularly scheduled, two-hour nap. So it seems that she functions fine without a nap, but we don’t.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh dear. Hopefully just a fluke...but both my boys stopped napping by 2 years old. Horrible, I tell ya!