Tuesday, April 13, 2010

laser-like focus produces many small turds

Potty training, I think, has as much to do with the adults as the child learning to use the potty. Watching the child sit on the pot for many minutes a day, sometimes with no results, is a challenge. The path of least resistance is to keep the child in diapers and not deal. But recently, Sophie's decided diapers are lame and she'd prefer to be without them so getting diapers on her has become a wrestling match. She doesn't understand that no diapers and no potty are incompatible. As the adult, I decided I need to get serious again about getting Sophie out of diapers. So tonight, I put her back on the toilet. We sat and sat and sat. Then mostly out of boredom, I turned the water facet on to see if that would help. Immediately, she focused in on the water and her face started turning red. I heard the joyous noise of a few small turds splashing down. I turned the water off, thinking that was the end of it. Noooo, Sophie wanted that water right back on. I turned it on and she stared at it intensely, dropped a couple more turds and peed. Victory. Is this the beginning of the end of diapers or merely a false hope?

1 comment:

Karen said...

This blog title reminds me of something you might find in a fortune cookie. LOL!