Sunday, March 20, 2011

big girls don´t use binkies

This morning we threw the last whole binkie away (she´s got others that we´ve cut down to the nubbin´that make her irate). After our ceremonial toss, we went to celebrate with a hotdog and popcorn.

We all dreaded the arrival of nightime and we got more nervous as it got nearer. At one point, Sophie ran over to the trash and looked inside to see that it was really empty (we tossed the trash after she threw it away so as not to give in).

Before the nightime reading, she made some whining noises we tried to ignore by simply reading. At one point during reading, she hopped down and looked under the sofa just to see if one might have gotten lost underneath. At that point, I lost it and started laughing--how very rude of me. At least I covered my mouth and tried to stop. We got away with reading just one book. She asked for her dad to rub her back and he managed to get out of there in a couple of minutes. She kicked around and moaned for a bit, but after ten minutes or so, it was silent.

I´d like to think that´s all: oral fixation, cured! Breaking her off of night milk wasn´t much harder. However, I shall refrain from being too smug. I fear at 3.00am this will all come back to haunt me when she´s crying out for a binkie. It may be a long night.

No comments: